In its quest to generate adequate and appropriate mineral data, the Economic Geology Department has been mandated to perform the following functions:
- Exploration for all mineral resources except hydrocarbon (oil and gas)
- Evaluation of Mineral resources
- Mineral Promotion activities
- Generation of credible data on exportable mineral resources such as gold, silver, lead and zinc, copper and other commodities to attract foreign direct investment to Nigeria.
- Provision of credible and bankable geosciences information on industrial minerals required by the cement, fertilizer and upstream petroleum industries to promote Nigerian content policy of the Government.
- Geochemical mapping of the entire landmass of Nigeria.
In recent times the Department projects has been devoted to exploration/assessment of some mineral commodities which can be broadly classified into four broad categories of mineral resources. These are:-
- Minerals that are for domestic industry consumption such as Barytes, Gypsum, Kaolin, Limestone and Marcasite
- Minerals that are for both domestic industry consumption and the export market e.g. Manganese, lead, zinc, copper
- Minerals that are for promoting export of mineral commodities such as gold, cobalt, silver etc.
- The department carried out and completed geochemical mapping of 8 cells out of 44 cells covering the entire Nigerian landmass. Some follow up exploration activities have also been carried out to complement geochemical findings in some of the areas mapped
- Assessment of Pegmatite resources of the following States:Osun, Zamfara, Niger, Nasarawa and Cross River
- Exploration for Barytes in the following States: Taraba, Benue, Nasarawa, Cross River, Zamfara, Gombe, Plateau and Adamawa
- Evaluation of Bentonite resources in the following States: Edo, Abia, Jigawa, Nasarawa/Plateau, Borno and Ogun
- Exploration for High-grade Kaolin in Imo State
- Exploration for industrial grade Limestone in Ogun State
- Exploration for dolomitic Limestone in Ondo State
- Exploration for Gold in the following States: Oyo, Kwara, Kogi, Niger, Ondo, Kebbi and Cross River
- Exploration for Marcasite in Imo State.
- Assessment of Manganese in the following States: Kebbi and Cross River
- Exploration for Cobalt in the following States: Bauchi / Plateau and Cross River
- Exploration for Silver in Nasarawa State.
- Exploration for Nickel in the following States: Osun and Nasarawa
- Exploration for Copper in Zamfara State
- Exploration for Lithium minerals in Ekiti State.
- Evaluation of marble resources of Kwara State
Reports of some of these projects have been compiled and published as mineral commodity dossiers, records and occasional papers of NGSA